Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Scranton Personal Injury Lawyer Haggerty Hinton & Cosgrove LLP
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Call us to discuss your legal options.

What kind of Pennsylvania auto insurance do you need?

Driving can be expensive these days. First, you need a license and a car. Then you need auto insurance. You may already know that Pennsylvania law requires you to carry a certain minimum amount of insurance, but you may not know that you have an option that could make a big difference if you suffer injuries in an accident.

In addition to all of the other options you make when you choose your plan, you must choose between full tort and limited tort coverage. Most people make their choices based on how much it will cost per month without considering what it could cost them after an accident. Before making any decisions, it might help to understand the difference between these two types of coverage.

Limited tort

This type of coverage still provides you with payment for your monetary losses, such as medical expenses, damages to your vehicle and any income you lost due to the accident. However, you may only pursue non-monetary damages under the following circumstances relating to the other driver:

  • Uninsured
  • DUI alcohol or drug conviction
  • Pre-trial diversion program
  • Out-of-state vehicle
  • Intentional actions

You must also have suffered serious injuries that resulted in permanent serious disfigurement, serious impairment or death. The courts will determine whether your injuries qualify.

Full tort

In contrast, purchasing full tort coverage allows you to pursue non-monetary damages without the qualifying factors or injuries listed above. Non-monetary damages include the following:

  • Spousal loss of consortium
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Scarring
  • Permanent injuries

Some believe that the increase in premiums is worth being able to pursue these damages without having to prove the specific circumstances needed for limited tort coverage.

Which is right for you?

If you still have questions regarding what kind of coverage would benefit you the most, help is available. Making the most informed decision you can could get you the best coverage possible and keep your premiums at a manageable level.

Even if you end up choosing limited tort coverage, you may still be able to pursue non-monetary damages for serious injuries or the death of a loved one, but this also may take the help of a legal advocate who is well-versed in personal injury claims. Not only could you end up filing a lawsuit against the party at fault for your injuries, but you may need assistance dealing with insurance companies as well.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

How Can We Help You?

Captcha Image

By submitting this form you acknowledge that the use of this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Furthermore, you understand that confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

© 2018 - 2024 Haggerty Hinton & Cosgrove LLP.
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Site Map